Release Date: 13/04/2019
Here’s a selection of cracking R&B instrumentals from 1964, with not a chart hit amongst them.
New York’s contributors are the Charlie Lucas Combo, The Jay-Hawks, Bill Doggett and the David Rockingham Trio, whose Soulful Chant was so nearly a hit for Jerry Blaine’s Josie Records.
Doc Starkes & His Nite Riders were from New England and Smokey Johnson was New Orleans’s premier session drummer.
There’s even a Canadian group, future comedian Tommy Chong’s first band, Little Daddy & The Bachelors.
So there you have it - sixteen Mighty Instrumentals R&B-Style from 1964.
1. Junior's Jerk - Little Daddy & The Bachelors
2. Watcha Wanna Do (Pt. 2) - Johnny Talbot
3. The Cricket - Clarence 'Gatemouth' Brown
4. Soulful Chant - David Rockingham Trio
5. Kicker - Big Bill Doggett
6. Chittlins - Gus Jenkins
7. I've Been Thinking (Pt.2) - The Nite Riders
8. Sizzlin' - Johnny Hartsman.
1. It Ain't My Fault (Pt.1) - Smokey Johnson
2. It Ain't My Fault (Pt.2) - Smokey Johnson
3. Fire Fly - Travis Wammack
4. Cozy Lounge Blues - Kid Thomas
5. Sherry's Party - Ray Johnson
6. Creepin' - The Jay-Hawks
7. Walkin' - Charlie Lucas Combo
8. The Last Minute - The Mixtures